Our Indian tradition of getting postnatal massages comes with umpteen benefits. It not only helps a new mother relax but also helps her regain energy, strengthen her body and speeds up the healing, especially in a cesarean birth.
While these massages are a good idea, here are a few things you might want to remember before getting started.
- Check with your doctor, how soon you can start with a massage post delivery.
- If you have had a cesarean birth, it’s best to wait for up to two weeks until your scar is healed and after your doctor gives you a go ahead.
- Use a good quality massage oil preferably cold pressed organic oil like coconut, mustard, almond, sesame, olive oils or ayurvedic herbal oil depending on the weather. You can also add some essential oils like lavender as it aids in relaxation, cleansing and treatment of depression. Vitamin E oil, shea butter and grape seed oil can help moisturize the skin and improve its elasticity.
- Do a patch test before you use any massage oil. It should suit you.
- Ensure that your maalishwali understands what to focus on and what to avoid. They should know the pressure to use while massaging as well as not rub too vigorously especially the breasts.
- Try to have a massage when your baby is sleeping or is being cared for by a family member. This will help you to relax completely and feel rested.
- Avoid getting a massage if you have any medical complications or eczema, rashes or boils.
- In case you have high blood pressure, a light massage is advisable.
- You will not lose your belly fat by massaging it.
- Ensure that you have a bath or wipe your breasts gently with a soft napkin before breastfeeding your baby. As sometimes the oil can prove to be an irritant for your baby.
- Discontinue massage if you are bleeding very heavily and resume only after a go ahead from your doctor.
- You should be comfortable while getting a massage. If your breasts are sore, lie on your sides instead of your stomach.
Most importantly remember you need to take care of yourself to be able to take care of your newborn baby. Do take time out to relax. A good massage will help you cope with the many pressures of motherhood.
For more details about various related topics and online sessions, please contact Seema Kazi Rangnekar @ Sama Birthing & Beyond
To know more about fitness post delivery visit Mom Health section.