If you’ve been on Google homepage today, you will know that today is the 44th anniversary of the birth of Hip Hop music. Forty-four years ago, hip-hop was born at a party in the Bronx when DJ Kool Herc used two turntables to isolate and extend the breakbeat of a song, inspiring people to cut loose on the dance floor.
Fast forward to the present day, relive your 80s and 90s with the most iconic hip hop tracks. So let’s get this party started with some old school hip hop tracks that will still make you get up and dance.
- Start with an all time favourite, dished out by MC Hammer.
2. When the 80s was fun, ice ice baby all the way
3. 50 Cent’s In Da Club is still one of the best hip hop tracks to grove to in the club.
4. No hip hop list is complete without Snoop Dogg
5. Coolest video of that time, put on your dancing shoes and get your freak on.
6. 2pac and Dr. Dre collaborated for an all time hit number.
7. The age-less Will Smith, with all his swag.
8. The track that literally everyone knows the lyrics of.
9. Good ol’ Jay Z with his 99 Problems.
10. This playlist is not complete without Candy Shop.
11. One of the best tracks by LL Cool J.
12. Let’s not forget the greatest rap artist of our times, Eminem.
13. The time when Jamie Foxx used to sing, good times.
14. Anyone thinks of Ross and Rachel whenever this track comes up?
15. The song that was ranked at number five on Rolling Stone‘s list of the 100 Best Songs of 2008. With 9.1 million copies sold as of January 2009, “Lollipop” was named 2008’s best-selling digital single worldwide.