For centuries, Indian artisans have been working with copper; smelting, moulding and rolling it, beating, polishing and tempering it into handcrafted, heirloom metalware. Along the way, the metal lost its allure as urban-dwelling, nuclear families sought easy-to-maintain homeware in contemporary designs. Then around 2016, copper made a comeback on the international design scene. It glinted across kitchen fixtures, bathroom faucets and furniture fittings and eventually, became the star material for a host of trendy lifestyle offerings.
With the current movement towards slow, sustainable living, it looks like the metal and its derivatives are here to stay. “Copper, as a material, lasts forever; it’s an investment for a lifetime. 80 percent of the copper available on the planet right now has been recycled,” says Seemantini Mihir who heads Social Media Marketing and E-Commerce at Pune-based lifestyle brand Studio Coppre. Its natural, rose-gold tint is beautiful to boot! This makes copper, as a material and colour, a hot favourite around the festive season.
We’ve picked 20 copper, bronze and copper-toned homeware pieces to up the luxe quotient of your Diwali decor settings.
Get Decked Out
Ditch the throwaway, plastic decor for these eco-chic options that will last longer and age well.
1. With its geometric, cutwork patterns, the Lotus Meditation Wall Decor by Coppre will lend a Zen vibe to your home interiors. The copper and brass piece is lacquer-coated for easy maintenance. Rs. 1,800.
3. This hammered, antique-brass finish Dhumin Fumer Gift Set by Fabindia includes incense, camphor and resin. The illustrated packaging is a bonus! Rs. 1,990. GET IT NOW!
4. Diyas and flowers afloat in an urli is a time-tested decor element in any Diwali setting. This hammered Copper Urli by Indian Art Villa is available in multiple size options. Rs. 2,585 onwards on offer.GET IT HERE!
5. For those on a budget, this copper-toned, metal Lord Ganesh Wall Art by eCraftIndia is the way to go. Rs. 599 on offer.GET IT HERE!
Light it Right
Everything and everyone will look radiant in the natural, mystical glow of these oil lamps and votive-holders.
9. Featuring tiny bells and dainty details, the Lord Krishna Hanging Oil Lamp by Onvay is crafted in brass. Rs. 2,489 on offer. GET IT NOW!
10. The lotus-shaped, brass Akhand Diya by CraftVatika flaunts a dual-toned, antique finish. Rs. 249 (set of two). STEAL DEAL! GET IT NOW!
Serve it Up
Eating, drinking and cooking in kansa or copperware is trendy and healthy! According to Ayurveda, the metals aid digestion, purify the blood, prevent asthma, support glowing skin and more. A range of tableware brands pair the metal with enamel, glass and other materials to dazzling effect.