It's official: We're a house-proud nation. The proof? New research reveals almost three quarters of UK adults take pride and pleasure in their homes.
But not just that, males are claiming to be more house-proud than females, with 74 per cent of men insisting they keep a tidy house, compared to 72 per cent of women. That's right, move over domestic goddesses.
However, in the survey conducted by Anglian Home Improvements, figures show it still falls to the lady of the house to do the majority of the work. Women spend around seven hours per week cleaning compared to men who do five hours.
One thing for certain, nothing beats the satisfaction and contentment that comes with creating a warm, welcoming and inviting home that is clean, stylish and presentable. Does this sound like you?
Here are 20 tell-tale signs that you're house-proud:
1. You buy fresh flowers weekly: Whether from your local supermarket or florist, you're always making sure you have some beautiful blooms to spruce up your living space.
2. You put out brand new towels when guests arrive: Naturally, you want your guests to feel welcome while impressing them as a host.
3. You hide untidy things away in the garage or shed: While you try to stay organised and on top of things, the term 'out of sight, out of mind' is one you strongly believe in. You don't know what you'd do without storage boxes.
4. You never have grotty bath mats or towels: Because you're a little bit of a clean freak and everything should look pristine...at all times.
5. You have expensive candles around the house: You want your home to smell lovely, there's no shame in that. Luxury candles with long burning hours are your favourite.
6. You avoid sitting on the sofa before guests arrive: You've spent a good 10 minutes plumping up the cushions and making everything look presentable so you wouldn't want to ruin that until your guests arrived.
7. You have a set of expensive china: Because every household needs one. Besides, it's only for display; it's far too expensive to risk any breakages.
8. You touch up dirty marks / scuffed walls with paint: Even though your heart breaks at seeing even the tiniest of marks on your walls, fixing the scuffs as soon as possible is always the preferred option.
9. You buy premium brand coffee when guests come over: Because it's all about impressing the guests, right?
10. You spray perfume around the house: There's nothing better than having your favourite scent wafting through every room.
11. You bake fresh bread to make the house smell nice: Because deep down you know that baking smells are the ones that really make your house feel homely.
12. You polish your front door knocker: The exterior of your home is just as important as the interior so you take pride in making sure it looks perfect. Besides, first impressions really are everything.
13. You vacuum the curtains: There's no place for dust in your home - none at all.
14. You fill bathroom shelves with expensive products: Even if they're the miniature ones, premium labelled brands deserve to be showcased.
15. You iron bed sheets: You take the presentation of your bedroom very seriously. Decor aside, that includes plush duvets, plump pillows and ironed sheets.
16. You fill up an expensive hand soap container with cheaper stuff: As long as the label on the container says it's a premium product, then it's good enough for you.
17. You wash your wheelie bin: Wheelies are a magnet for bacteria and insects, and you'll do anything to minimise smells.
18. You make the children play outside: Sorry kids, this house isn't one to be messed up, especially with all the hard work that goes into making it look pristine.
19. You pretend you don't have a cleaner: You don't want to seem to others as taking this whole 'house proud' thing too seriously. It's your little secret.
20. You make sure the children are out when guests arrive: It's easier to give your full attention to guests, and there's less chance of your sofa looking messed up too!
Keep up-to-date with our inspiring ideas, latest looks, real-life homes and expert advice by signing up for our FREE newsletter…
You Might Also Like