One of the best ways of creating a long-lasting impression is to keep a bright and healthy smile on your face. A survey conducted by the American Academy of Periodontology has stated that about fifty percent of the people hold the view that smiles are the first thing that is first noticed in the face of another person. It is very important to take care of the teeth and gums as they help you to look good. It is a well know fact that mouth has a direct connection with heart health and overall comfort, so keep your teeth healthy.
There are various whitening treatments but they do not whiten teeth permanently. Even if you have taken treatment when your teeth are exposed to foods and beverages, they start staining and you may find that the whiteness of the teeth starting to fade after treatment. If you avoid food and beverages then you can avoid staining of teeth for a year or till next treatment.
Throughout the years of your life, follow these hygiene tips for healthy white teeth: –
- After each Meal Brush Your Teeth: To maintain proper hygiene and healthy white teeth it is essential that you brush your teeth after every meal or at least twice a day. Always use a small soft-bristled toothbrush to brush your teeth or else it might damage the enamel and gums.
- Eat a Teeth-Healthy Diet: The teeth get affected by whatever we eat especially when we eat foods that are sugary and highly acidic. The eating of healthy foods will protect the enamel of your teeth and also prevent the bacteria from forming and spreading throughout the mouth. Some of the teeth-healthy foods include nuts, milk, chicken, cheese, fruits and vegetables. Avoid taking of beverages like soda, coffee and red wine as they might stain your teeth. Prefer to take beverages that will help to build enamel strength and water will hydrate your body and it is better than any sugary drink.
- Floss: To maintain proper hygiene it is essential that you floss your sugary teeth. Flossing of teeth regularly decreases cavities, prevents bad breath and keeps your teeth glowing white. Floss your teeth in a slow and gentle sawing motion. The surface of the teeth is cleaned while brushing your teeth and flossing helps to clean the spaces in between teeth. Flossing enables you to get rid of food residue and other detrimental substances stuck between teeth.
- Visit your Dentist Every Six Months: To maintain healthy white teeth, it is essential that you visit the dentist every six months. The dentist will clean your teeth more thoroughly than your toothbrush which will enable them to know if there are cavities, gingivitis and plaque buildup. If you have a dental problem like a toothache or bleeding gums, then you should contact your dentist immediately for a checkup.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking is bad for your heart and lungs but also for your teeth, gums, and mouth. While smoking gives bad breath, tooth discoloration, gum disease, increased plaque and tartar build-up, etc. Even if you take smokeless tobacco, it will damage your teeth and gums and expose the roots of your teeth and thus increase the risk of tooth decay.
Natoli Dental: JOSEPH N. NATOLI, DMD
188 Fries Mill Rd, Suite M5
Turnersville, NJ 08012