During pregnancy, a woman generally puts on anywhere between 8-12 kg of weight. Losing this weight becomes difficult as your newborn takes away all your time and energy!
However, a little bit of effort can help you shed those extra pounds. All you need to do is walk!
Why walking helps!
You burn one calorie by taking 20 steps. About 250 calories are burnt in just 5000 steps! 5000 steps may sound like a big deal, but if we consider our daily routine and keep a tab of the number of steps we take, achieving this is actually very easy.
How to do it:
- Smart phones today are well equipped to help you keep a tab of your physical activity. You can also invest in a simple pedometer.
- Generally, the baby keeps you on your toes and you will see that half the goal is achieved easily by the end of the day.
- The other half can be achieved by bringing about a little change in your routine.
- You can take your baby out for a walk strapped in a stroller or even better, if you can wear your baby. A 20-minute- walk in the garden will refresh you and help in reaching the target.
- You can even take the baby while grocery shopping rather than opting for a home delivery.
- Once in a while, you can ditch the elevator and take the stairs.
- If you have someone at home to take care of the baby, go for a brisk walk for 15-20 minutes once the baby is asleep.
- Remember not to stress about the weight gain, as this may lead to you piling on weight instead. Even 10 minutes of meditation can help you calm down.
For some of you, it may seem difficult to invest even 20 minutes for yourself from the hustle of daily activities. However, it is not impossible and in most cases just needs a little bit of planning. It is important that you take care of yourself so that you can take better care of your newborn!
Wish you good health always!
Disclaimer: This article has been written by a Physiotherapist exclusively for BabyChakra.