On Monday, Aamir Khan said in an interview that he will be working with director Subhash Kapoor in Mogul, a Gulshan Kumar biopic that will be produced by T-Series. This is a volte face from the star’s stand last year, when he chose to opt out of the project Kapoor was accused of sexual harassment – charges that resurfaced at the height of the #MeToo movement in India.
In February 2014, actor Geetika Tyagi accused Kapoor—best known for making the Jolly LLB movies—of molesting her in 2012. She also filed a police case in 2014, and Kapoor was arrested before being released on bail.
When Tyagi’s case drew renewed interest during the #MeToo movement last October, Khan released a statement about why he was stepping away from Mogul, saying that “we believe that this is an opportunity for the film industry to introspect and take concrete steps towards change. For far too long, women have faced the brunt of sexual exploitation. It has to stop.”
However, now Khan has told Hindustan Times that according to the law, one is “innocent until proven guilty”.
“Today I feel differently. I’m going with my heart. Perhaps some people will be critical of my decision. But I have to live with my own conscience,” he said.
While Khan had pointed out in his previous statement that they (he and wife Kiran Rao) aren’t an ‘investigative agency,’ the actor seems to have spent the past few months doing precisely that. In the HT interview, Khan said that he felt guilty as Kapoor wasn’t getting any work in the industry after he disassociated himself from Mogul.
“I couldn’t sleep at night because I used to constantly feel that my actions have inadvertently caused a person, about whose guilt I have absolutely no idea, to lose his right to work and earn a livelihood,” Khan said.
Before making up his mind, he met 10-12 women who had worked with Kapoor and “spoke highly” of him.
Khan didn’t mention Tyagi, and whether he attempted to speak to her before...