In America, nearly 80% of the population experiences back pain at least once in their lifetime. This can lead to restlessness, discomfort during daily activities, and general frustration which can impact how you interact with friends, family, and coworkers.
Between stretching, massage therapy, and even surgery, there are a number of different ways to alleviate back pain. But those require changes to your daily routine, recurring visits to the doctor, or expensive medical procedures.
One of the best non-invasive ways is with better sleep. It’s a simple solution that can have a drastic impact on your quality of life.
On the other hand, if you’re regularly sleep deprived, you increase your risk of injury and limit your ability to recover from back pain issues. To get better sleep, one of the easiest measures you can take is buying a better mattress. This allows you to passively improve your sleep quality and decrease your risk of back pain without having to really change much about other aspects of your life.
These days, there is a wide range of mattresses that help relieve back pain. Many are designed to minimize pressure points (a common cause of back pain while you sleep). The best beds provide the right amount of cushion (softness) and support (firmness) to help you sleep easier and wake up pain-free.
Below, we explore the things you should know about how a new mattress can proactively prevent back pain before it starts or alleviate current symptoms.
A Guide for Getting a Great Night’s Sleep
One of the reasons you may experience back pain at night is because your spine might be misaligned while you sleep. When it’s twisted awkwardly, you’ll always wake up feeling sore and stiff. Worse, you might experience sharp pains and chronic discomfort.
To get a better night’s sleep, you need a mattress that doesn’t sag and delivers just the right amount of support and cushion for your body type and sleep style. It’s important that the mattress you sleep on conforms to your body in a way that promotes perfect spinal alignment. If you sleep on your side, it should contour around your hips and shoulders so they comfortably sink into the mattress. If you sleep on your back, it should be firmer so that it evenly supports your weight and body.
Only a high quality mattress can do this. Innerspring beds are unlikely to give you the comfort and support you need if you are worried about back pain. For stability, comfort, cushion, and support, you need either a memory foam mattress, a hybrid mattress, or a latex mattress.\
What kind of sleeper are you?
Most people sleep on their side. However, many others switch between the different sleeping positions throughout the night. Generally, a medium or medium-firm mattress is best for individuals experiencing back pain. But here is additional guidance.
- Back sleepers require a firmer surface that provides balanced and even support and pressure relief.
- Stomach sleepers should shop for a firmer mattress too. A softer bed may place undue pressure on different parts of their body, creating painful pressure points and potentially making it difficult to breathe.
- Side sleepers may experience pressure points at the shoulder and hips. A softer mattress generally helps as it ensures you won’t feel pain in those areas. However, if you have recurring back pain, it may be best to avoid overly soft beds.
The Best Mattresses for Shooing Away Your Back Pain
Most experts suggest that the best mattresses for back pain are made from memory foam. Second to that are latex mattresses. Generally, both types, when manufactured with high quality materials, are long-lasting, prevent sagging, and offer optimal back and spine support.
For a healthier sleep experience, here is a look at the top 5 best mattresses for back pain:
- Amerisleep AS3 Hybrid: Combining the comfort of memory foam with the responsiveness of pocketed springs, the Amerisleep AS3 hybrid is a top mattress for back pain. Its three-zone support system also makes it one of the better solutions for a good night’s sleep.
- Avocado Green Mattress: A latex mattress that’s organic, non-toxic, and a comfortable solution for back pain. Get in natural alignment with this mattress.
- Bear Mattress: Containing graphite-infused memory foam, the Bear mattress is cool and responsive so you get painless slumber.
- Purple Hybrid Premier: A luxury option, the Purple hybrid premier provides pressure-relieving support with its special Grid layer and pocket coils.
- Zoma Sports Mattress: Engineered as a mattress for athletes, Zoma uses Triangulex to provide zoned-support and cooling channels. It facilitates healthy spine support along with cushioning and comfort.
With the right mattress, you can get a better, deeper sleep. You’ll wake up with less pain without having to lift a finger.
The post How to Address Back Pain with Sleep: Solutions for Up to 80% of the US Population appeared first on Popdiaries.