Here’s an easy recipe of Lauki ki barfi-
- 1/2 kg lauki (with estimate, little more or less will do)
- 1 tablespoon desi ghee
- 1 cup sugar (you can reduce or increase as per taste)
- 125 grams mawa or khoya (roast the mawa a bit and keep aside for use)
- Chopped nuts of choice (cashews, almonds, pistachios)
- Elaichi powder to taste
- 6-7 drops rose or kewra water (optional)
- Grate the lauki with a grater, taking care to not grate the middle seed part. Three medium sized bottle gourd will give you 1/2 kg grated lauki. Also, after grating try to remove extra water from lauki by pressing with hands softly.
- In a pan, heat ghee and add grated lauki. On medium flame, stir for 2-3 minutes to dry its water a bit. Then cover with a lid and in between stir and let it cook for 4-5 more minutes to remove rawness.
- Now add sugar and mix. Lauki and sugar both will leave water. Again cover and stir in between for 7-8 minutes. Later you can remove cover and on medium flame cook till no water is left. You may add nuts at this stage. Keep a few nuts for garnishing
- Add roasted mawa and mix well. Cook for a few more minutes. The barfi mix will leave sides of kadai. Switch off gas and add elaichi powder and mix well.
- Now, add rose or kewra water, mix and set in a greased plate. Garnish with nuts.
This will set in 3 hours. You may also keep in the fridge to let it set. Cut into pieces and store in airtight box in fridge.
- Keeping the ingredients ready like bhuna mawa and chopped nuts etc helps.
- Rose or kewra water gives it very good smell and taste.
- Before grating lauki taste it, as sometimes lauki is bitter.
Also read: Dessert Time: Homemade Khoya Barfi
Explore the entire collection of articles: Fun Recipe