Boy, 17, ‘stabbed to death by a teenager with combat knife after Facebook row'

Andy Wells
Freelance Writer
Louis-Ryan Menezes was stabbed to death on Drayton Walk in Northampton last year (SWNS)

A 17-year-old boy was stabbed to death by a teenager armed with a combat knife over a Facebook row, a court has heard.

Louis-Ryan Menezes died after having a large blade plunged through his heart in a street attack in Kingsthorpe, Northampton, on May 25 last year.

An 18-year-old man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is accused of murdering the teenager following a row over comments made on social media.

Northampton Crown Court heard Louis was killed following a sudden attack with a "hunting-style knife" which he had done "nothing to deserve."

He suffered a one-inch stab wound to the chest on Drayton Walk and died in hospital at 7.25pm that night.

The 17-year-old was killed following a row over comments on Facebook, a court has heard (SWNS)

The court heard that the argument between Louis and the defendant, who was aged 17 at the time, was over ‘some things said on Facebook’.

Prosecutor John Lloyd-Jones QC told the jury: "As they approached each other, witnesses describe hearing Louis and the defendant saying again and again 'what is it then, what is it then'.

"And as those words were exchanged the defendant suddenly and unexpectedly pulled out a large knife.

Read more from Yahoo News UK:

Body found in search for student Alana Cutland

Lottery winner, 24, scoops £10,000 a month for 30 years

Rocket launcher handed into police during firearms surrender

"And with that knife, this defendant stabbed Louis straight in the chest."

The defendant and another man he was with are said to have ran while one of Louis' friends helped him to a nearby stairwell.

A post-mortem will reportedly show how the stab wound was one-inch deep and penetrated Louis’ heart.

Floral tributes at the scene of the teenager's death (SWNS)

Meanwhile, the defendant - who was arrested in London four days after the killing - claims he stabbed Louis in self-defence.

Paul Mendell QC, defending,: "The main issue, in this case, is that the violence used by the defendant was not unlawful. He was acting in self-defence.

"Ladies and gentlemen, you can strike the first blow if you genuinely believe you are about to be attacked.

"And if you do genuinely believe you are about to be attacked, it doesn't matter if you are wrong."

The trial continues.

---Watch the latest videos from Yahoo UK---