Boy impaled through the neck with a pole in freak accident during football

Airlifted: A boy was taken by helicopter to hospital after being impaled through the neck by a training pole while playing football with his friends

A boy was airlifted to hospital after being impaled through the neck by a training pole while playing football with his friends.

Emergency services were called to a football pitch in Fegg Hayes, Stoke-on-Trent, following the freak accident on Sunday afternoon.

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service said crews cut the pole that was skewered through the boy’s neck before he was taken to hospital by the Midlands Air Ambulance.

These poles are used to mark out fitness and practice areas for players to zig-zag through by coaches during training sessions.

The fire service tweeted: "Crews from Sandyford have been called to a football field off Chell Heath Road, Fegg Hayes to assist colleagues from West Midlands Ambulance Service with a boy with a spike from a football training pole in his neck.

Freak accident: Emergency services were called to a football pitch off Chell Heath Road, in Fegg Hayes, Stoke-on-Trent, following the accident on Sunday afternoon

"The pole was cut and the boy flown to hospital by the air ambulance."

The boy’s age and his current condition have not been disclosed yet.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman told Yahoo News: “We were called at 1.18pm on Saturday to reports of a patient who been impaled by a metal spike at the bottom of a plastic pole on a playing field near to Oxford Road in Fegg Hayes, Stoke on Trent.

“One ambulance, a paramedic officer and the Midlands Air Ambulance from Staffordshire attended the scene.

“On arrival, ambulance crews discovered one patient, a boy who had been impaled.

“The boy, who was conscious and in a stable condition, was treated for a neck injury before being airlifted to Alderhey Children’s Hospital by air ambulance.”