Pregnancy brings along a whole host of changes. And just when you think you are getting comfortable with it, the baby comes along and you have a whole new set of changes to grapple with! More about that later.
Heartburn is among the most common conditions that most moms-to-be have to live with during pregnancy.
Let's look at a few preventive measures
- Avoid coffee and soda during pregnancy
- Chewing meals well should be an everyday habit but it's even more important now
- Liquid-ish foods are a better option over solids
- To avoid heartburn at night avoid eating at least 3 hours before going to sleep
Here's a superb breakfast recipe to kick start your heartburn-free day.
Lapsi and Banana Smoothie
Ingredients for Lapsi
- ½ cup Lapsi (broken wheat)
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 tablespoons jaggery
- 2 cups water
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for Banana Smoothie
- 2 medium bananas (deskin, cut in into two and freeze for 3-4 hours/overnight)
- ½ cup curd
- ½ teaspoon flaxseed (alsi)
- 1 tablespoon honey
Preparation for Lapsi
- Heat ghee in a kadhai, add broken wheat, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 4-6 minutes or till it turns golden brown in colour, keep stirring continuously.
- Add 2 cups of water, mix well and cook on a high flame till the water starts boiling
- Now cook on a slow flame for 12-15 minutes or till the broken wheat is almost done, stir occasionally.
- Add jaggery and salt as per taste and mix well. Cook on a slow flame for 3-5 minutes. Serve hot.
Preparation for Banana Smoothie
- Coarsely grind the flaxseeds in a mixer for about 30 seconds
- Add the frozen banana, curd and honey and puree until smooth and thick. Serve immediately.
Here are a few more tips to keep heartburn at bay:
- Go for tea instead of coffee
- Grill or bake food instead of deep frying
- Replace cream with thick curd in recipes such as dal makhani or palak paneer
- If you have a sweet tooth, a bowl of fruit is a better alternative to chocolate
What do you think of the recipe? Let us know in comments.
What has worked best for you? Let us know!
Explore the entire collection of articles: Pregnancy must know