A hungry dog has fully recovered from major surgery - after eating 3 feet of Christmas tinsel.
Benji the German Shepherd, 8, underwent a successful operation to remove the decorations at VetsNow animal hospital in Manchester.
The dog was taken for was taken for X-rays by owner Olivia Mullen - herself an animal care assistant - which revealed 80cm of tinsel inside his stomach.
Ms Mullen, 24, said: “This is the first time he’s ever done anything like this. He doesn’t even go after shoes or toys, so it was a total surprise.
Read more from Yahoo News UK:
Commuters landed with rush hour delays after angry passenger shouting at staff prompts walkout
Harry Dunn's family set to find out if diplomat's wife Anne Sacoolas will face charges over death
Boris Johnson called out for 'playing' on phone in Commons rather than listening to MP
“The tree wasn’t up yet and he had actually gone rooting through a box. I was working and my mum called me to say he had eaten some tinsel.
“I see poorly animals on a daily basis at work, but when it came to my own dog, I was an absolute mess … I was so upset and worried, but I knew he was in the best possible hands.”
Benji is healing well following the operation and is now at home with Ms Mullen.
Vets Now says it expects a 70 rise in cases of animals ingesting decorations and other foreign objects around Christmas and New Year - and has advised pet owners to be extra careful.
David Owen, lead emergency vet at Vets Now’s Manchester hospital, said: “Shiny tinsel can be very attractive to both dogs and cats but, like anything stringy, it’s extremely dangerous if swallowed.
“If you suspect your dog or cat has swallowed tinsel, or anything similar such as ribbon or thread, don’t wait for signs or symptoms to appear before you act.”