The thought of getting pregnant and welcoming a new member into your life can be an exciting one. But if you are suffering from infertility, it can play spoilsport to this desire. However, all is not lost as there are therapies and technologies that can help overcome your fertility problems.
Among the alternative therapies, acupuncture is considered to have a positive effect on your chances of conceiving. Before we discuss the effectiveness of acupuncture for fertility, let us first understand what acupuncture is.
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is a form of alternative medical treatment whose origin can be traced to China. This therapy involves inserting fine needles at particular points in your body. As per the traditional Chinese medical (TCM) practice, these points correspond to the energy paths in your body, known as meridians. Stimulating these points with hair-thin needles can ensure the free flow of energy inside your body. Acupuncture is used for the treatment of various medical conditions, including infertility.
Why is Acupuncture Considered as a Fertility Treatment Method?
According to the theories of TCM, infertility can result from the blockages in the energy paths of your body. These blockages hinder the free flow of energy and can impact your possibilities of conceiving. By adopting acupuncture for fertility therapies, you can eliminate these blockages.
How can Acupuncture Boost Fertility?
As per the British Acupuncture Council, acupuncture can give a boost to fertility in women by bringing about the following changes in the body:
• Regulating the function of hormones.
• Improving the flow of blood to the ovaries and uterus and making the muscles relax, both of which can increase the possibilities of embryo implantation.
• Dealing with the causes of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
• Providing relief from stress.
In the case of men, acupuncture can help fertility through the following ways:
• Improving sperm motility.
• Increasing the level of testosterone, a male sex hormone.
• Keeping the temperature of the scrotum low so that sperms remain in a better environment.
The Effectiveness of Acupuncture for Fertility
A number of peer-reviewed scientific studies have been able to demonstrate the effectiveness of acupuncture for fertility. These studies show that acupuncture can also be used in combination with Western treatment methods to achieve the desired results.
Acupuncture and IVF:
Recent studies have found that in the case of IVF treatment, acupuncture therapy can increase the success rate.
Acupuncture and sperm production:
It is a known fact that the quality and quantity of male sperm can impact fertility. Studies suggest that acupuncture treatment can increase the sperm count and improve sperm quality.
Acupuncture and endocrine function:
Several pieces of research have established a link between fertility and endocrine function issues in women. Studies have shown that when acupuncture therapy is applied to women with endocrine functionality problems, it ensures greater pregnancy success as compared to those who undergo drug treatment to resolve the same issue.
Side Effects of Acupuncture
Acupuncture for fertility treatment produces no or negligible side effects. But you need to keep these points in mind:
• You can experience slight bruising, soreness, or minor bleeding at the points where the needle was inserted.
• Acupuncture sessions of a short duration (around 20 minutes) are fine. Extended sessions can result in undue stress on your body.
• Acupuncture therapy conducted by an untrained therapist can result in stimulation of the wrong points in your body.
A Word of Advice
If you are interested in undergoing acupuncture therapy for fertility, consult a licensed acupuncturist. The acupuncturist will be able to provide you with the best suggestion regarding the treatment and the procedures involved.