Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s magnum opus Padmavati has been embroiled in a string of controversies since its announcement. Even after the makers of Padmavati deferred the release of the historical drama following nation-wide protests, the voices against the film refuse to die down.
Bhansali and Deepika Padukone have even received death threats by several groups. Amid the ongoing controversy, Farhan Akhtar has come out in support of the film.
The actor-filmmaker was shocked about how someone could try to intimidate an actress in public by threatening to cut off her head on national television.
Recommended Read: Farhan Akhtar walks out of a film with Sanjay Dutt?
‘’These threats are being made on TV. I wonder how they can make these threats like that so openly,” said Farhan wondering why no action has been taken so far. “There are people who have said less provocative things on Facebook and Twitter and have faced tougher action against them,” he complained.
He added, “There is still time and hopefully someone will do something soon.”
Earlier also Farhan had condemned the ongoing protests against Padmavati. He had said, “It’s not about just those two films or Padmavati. This has happened with many films in the past and every time it has happened, I have spoken openly about it that it should not happen. I am totally against anything being banned. I genuinely believe that we should stop treating our audiences as children.’’
“We should allow them to grow. Expose them to different types of ideas. Allow them to understand the culture and think. It is important for the development of any nation that there are viewpoints, that are not always in agreement with the majority,” Farhan added.
On the work front, Farhan was last seen in the movie Lucknow Central directed by Ranjit Tiwari. The film had opened to mixed reviews from the audience and the critics.
A lot of celebrities from Bollywood and other film industries have slammed the string of protests that the team of Padmavati has been facing. The movie was slated to release on 1st December, 2017.
In a recent development, the Lok Sabha has asked the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) and the Information and Broadcasting (I&B) Ministry to submit an official report on the film before November 30.