We are almost at the end of this year and it calls for a vacation. A vacation to our nest, miles and miles away. Like everyone says, a baby changes everything (oh boy! EVERYTHING). Years ago, travelling to India was all about shopping, packing and watching endless movies in the flight. This time it wasn’t the same like before. Unfortunately, my husband could not travel with us for many reasons and it was just ME with an active toddler. The thought of it had made me dread the day of our travel.
I started off with a list to carry for journey as I had to keep in mind about all the circumstances and be prepared for the worst (like flight delays, missing flight). Anything could go wrong. It’s better to be prepared than to cry over spilled milk!
At 17 months, she needs a lot of space to move around, she couldn’t stay put at one place and icing on the cake, she was just not comfortable having her food as she is used to the booster seat.
As per our baggage allowance it was a 10-kilo check-in bag for Little D and a carry-on bag (diaper bag) for each of us. I will mention below what I packed in our bags for a clear picture.
What I packed in LittleD’s Check-in Bag:
- 2 Packs of diapers (If you are travelling for a long stay then ignore carrying so many. I ended up carrying them because I had subscribed for a monthly 186 count diaper box and forgot to cancel it. I had to carry as it would go waste).
- All her water bottles, munchkin 360 miracle cup for milk.
- Extra set of medicine, thermometer in a box (I used a small carton box).
- Body and shampoo, toothbrush (In a carton box, I had put them in a Ziploc and during the wear and tear, the body wash had leaked completely!).
- Babyganics Insect repellent, mosquito patch, Babyganics sun screen.
- Clothes for the stay
- Sweater/jacket/socks and her footwear.
- Books for her
What I packed in LittleD’s Carry-on bag (diaper bag):
- New activities (she had never seen it before). I picked Melissa and Doug water paint and Melissa and Doug Cutting Fruit activity.
- Her favourite books (I carried just 3 of her favourite ones and the rest into her check in baggage)
- A pair of sock
- Bibs, washcloth
- Diapers, Wipes
- Diaper rash cream, diaper disposable covers.
- Aquaphor tube (I got a small one from Walmart for 2$)
- A pair of dress (warm preferably)
- A warm baby blanket (I didn’t use the one airlines provided)
- Hand sanitizer
- Munchkin Miracle cup for water (I did not carry any straw bottle as water leaks due to high pressure)
What I carried in my carry-on bag:
- A pair of cloth for myself
- Extra diapers
- Carried an extra soft sole shoe for LittleD for the journey.
- Organic valley milk 200ml cartons (around 8, but used only 4).
- Snacks for LittleD (I carried cheerio, Fruits, Baby Mum-Mum rice rusk
Keep some extra space in the bag for the baby carrier in case you need to pack.
What I carried in my handbag/laptop bag:
I carried a laptop bag
- Laptop and charger
- Power bank
- Raisins in a small box (during take off and landing)
- Required documents for travel
- 2-3 diapers
- iPad, mobile and charger
- Passports in another pouch
Tips for the travel:
- Carry enough snacks for the little one.
- Baby carrier was a blessing for us, so carry or at least borrow for your journey.
- I carried raisins for take-off and landing
- Make sure the diaper bag, carry-on bag and the handbag (laptop bag) you carry is not too heavy.
- Wear comfortable clothes. I wore a breastfeeding friendly dress and warm romper for the little one.
- Keep yourself and baby hydrated.
- Apply moisturizer often as the baby skin gets dry.
- Do not over eat or over feed solids.
- Keep hand sanitizer handy
- A backpack is better than a handbag as you do not have to fiddle with it while managing carry-on bags
- Ask help when you need, don’t hesitate. I was traveling alone so every time I had to use the washroom I asked the air hostesses to just look after LittleD.
- Book the flight around their bedtime.
I wrote this blog from my recent experience and I realized my faults only after committing them. Every mistake comes with a learning. This post is just to give you some pointer.
Let me know if this helped you in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: All Photographs in this article are original and belong to the author. Reproducing them in any form without the permission of the author will not be allowed.
Explore the entire collection of articles: Baby on Board