George Lucas 'couldn't hide his disappointment' when he was shown 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'

Ben Arnold
Contributor
George Lucas arrives at the premiere of Solo: A Star Wars Story. (Credit: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP)

George Lucas was famously edged out of the production of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, after he sold his LucasFilm firm to Disney in 2012.

Though Lucas provided some potential storylines and direction for the reboot, working as a creative consultant early on in production, director J.J. Abrams and producer Kathleen Kennedy went in their own direction with the finished product.

But according to the new memoir by Disney boss Bob Iger, the producer was bitterly disappointed with the result, which he believed simply re-jigged the story from his first Star Wars film, A New Hope.

“Early on, Kathy [Kennedy] brought J.J. [Abrams] and Michael Arndt up to Northern California to meet with George at his ranch and talk about their ideas for the film,” Iger writes in The Ride of a Lifetime: Lessons Learned From 15 Years As CEO Of The Walt Disney Company (via Slashfilm).

Read more: Apple might have merged with Disney, says Iger

“George immediately got upset as they began to describe the plot and it dawned on him that we weren’t using one of the stories he submitted during the negotiations.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Credit: Lucasfilm/Disney)

“The truth was, Kathy, J.J., Alan [Horn, Disney’s chairman], and I had discussed the direction in which the saga should go, and we all agreed that it wasn’t what George had outlined.

“George knew we weren’t contractually bound to anything, but he thought that our buying the story treatments was a tacit promise that we’d follow them, and he was disappointed that his story was being discarded.”

Things didn't get much better once he'd seen the movie either.

Read more: Disney smashes its own box office record

“Just prior to the global release, Kathy screened The Force Awakens for George,” Iger goes on to say.

ORLANDO, FL - APRIL 13: Kathleen Kennedy and George Lucas attend the 40 Years of Star Wars panel during the 2017 Star Wars Celebrationat Orange County Convention Center on April 13, 2017 in Orlando, Florida. (Photo by Gerardo Mora/Getty Images for Disney)

“He didn’t hide his disappointment. 'There’s nothing new,' he said. In each of the films in the original trilogy, it was important to him to present new worlds, new stories, new characters, and new technologies. In this one, he said, 'There weren’t enough visual or technical leaps forward.'

“He wasn’t wrong, but he also wasn’t appreciating the pressure we were under to give ardent fans a film that felt quintessentially Star Wars.

Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and George Lucas (Credit: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP)

“We’d intentionally created a world that was visually and tonally connected to the earlier films, to not stray too far from what people loved and expected, and George was criticizing us for the very thing we were trying to do.

“Looking back with the perspective of several years and a few more Star Wars films, I believe J.J. achieved the near-impossible, creating a perfect bridge between what had been and what was to come.”

Read more: Harrison Ford branded a hypocrite over UN speech

While it's easy to compare The Force Awakens to the plot of the early saga, it's also difficult to forget the lumbering nature of Lucas's prequels, with the lengthy trade disputes and talk of midichlorians – the microscopic lifeforms existing in all living things – which many fans felt reduced the mystical magic of 'the force' to something boring and overly scientific.

George Lucas Promotes His New Film 'The Phantom Menace' In Tokyo, Japan On June 02, 1999. (Photo by Kurita KAKU/Gamma-Rapho via Getty Images)

Lucas was pretty vocal at the time of The Force Awakens' release too.

In an interview with Charlie Rose, referring to the movies as his 'kids', he said: “I sold them to the white slavers that takes these things, and….”.

He elected not to finish the sentence.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, the last in the current trilogy, hits screens on 19 December.