Have your say: Do you think the BBC's coverage of Prince Philip's death was over the top?

Ross McGuinness
·2-min read

Watch: BBC receives record 100,000 complaints after wall-to-wall Prince Philip death coverage

The BBC has received more than 100,000 complaints about its coverage of the death of Prince Philip, it has been reported.

The figure, which would be a record number of complaints in British TV history, was reported by The Sun newspaper.

The BBC set up a dedicated webpage for viewers to lodge their dissatisfaction at its coverage after it cleared its schedules to cover Philip’s death on Friday.

The complaints total, if confirmed, would be a record in UK television history, beating the previous high of 63,000 sparked by the BBC’s screening of Jerry Springer: The Musical in 2005.

A BBC spokesperson said: “We are proud of our coverage and the role we play during moments of national significance.”

The corporation previously said it would release its fortnightly complaints bulletin on Thursday as planned.

Following the duke’s death at Windsor Castle aged 99, the BBC wiped its schedules across both BBC One and BBC Two to run a series of mirrored special programmes about Philip.

Viewers tuning into BBC Four were greeted with a message urging them to switch over for a “major news report”, while BBC Radio 4 and BBC Radio 5 Live also aired programmes about the duke.

The rolling news coverage meant the final of MasterChef, which was due to air at 8.30pm on BBC One, was not shown.

File photo dated 23/10/04 of the Duke of Edinburgh during a tour of battlefields in the Crimea, Ukraine. He was the Queen's husband and the royal family's patriarch, but what will the Duke of Edinburgh be remembered for? Issue date: Friday April 4, 2021.
The Duke of Edinburgh died last Friday. (PA)

The BBC later established the dedicated form on its website after receiving complaints about its coverage.

Former BBC presenter Simon McCoy, who recently left to join GB News, was among those criticising the corporation.

He wrote on Twitter: “BBC1 and BBC2 showing the same thing. And presumably the News Channel too. Why? I know this is a huge event. But surely the public deserve a choice of programming.”

Read more: Prince Harry shares tribute to ‘legend of banter’ Prince Philip