Marks & Spencer (MKS.L) has announced plans to cut 950 jobs, blaming a sharp downturn in business driven by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The retailer said on Monday 950 jobs were at risk as part of plans to reduce store management and head office roles.
“Our proposals reflect an important next step in our Never The Same Again programme to accelerate our transformation and become a stronger, leaner and more resilient business,” Sacha Berendji, director of retail, operations and property at M&S, said in a statement.
“Through the crisis we have seen how we can work faster and more flexibly by empowering store teams and it’s essential that we embed that way of working.
“Our priority now is to support all those affected through the consultation process and beyond.”
Sky News first reported M&S planned to cut jobs earlier on Monday, without giving an exact figure on the scale of the expected cut. The retailer’s stock fell 1.4% following the report.
M&S said headcount “will be examined at all levels” in its full-year results in May. It came as the retailer announced a 21% fall annual profits and chief executive Steve Rowe said he was working to “secure the future of the business”. Rowe said shopping habits had “changed forever” and M&S dubbed its COVID-19 recovery plan “Never the Same Again”.
Retailers have taken a heavy hit from months of lockdown and footfall on UK high streets remains significantly below pre-pandemic levels despite restrictions easing. Debenhams, John Lewis, and Boots are just some of the other High Street names to have announced widespread job cuts across their businesses.
M&S employs 78,000 people across the UK. 27,000 were furloughed during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic.