Mavis Eccleston: Pensioner wife cleared of murdering terminally ill husband in suicide pact

Mavis Eccleston leaving Stafford Crown Court, where she is on trial accused of murdering her husband Dennis in a "mercy killing" after his bowel cancer was diagnosed as terminal.

An 80-year-old pensioner has been cleared of the “mercy killing” murder of her terminally ill husband.

Mavis Eccleston and her 81-year-old husband, Dennis, both took an overdose at their home in February.

Mrs Eccleston told jurors they were both of sound mind and had agreed to take medication to end their own lives together.

She sobbed in the dock after being unanimously cleared of murder and an alternative charge of manslaughter following a two-week trial at Stafford Crown Court.

Prosecutors had alleged Mr Eccleston, who was in the “end stages” of bowel cancer, was unaware that he was taking a potentially lethal overdose, and that his wife later made admissions to two mental health nurses.

She told the jury last week that her husband – who had previously talked about travelling to Switzerland to end his life on his own terms – had kissed her hand in thanks after she agreed to “go with his wishes” to die.

Describing the allegations against her as a downright untruth, Mrs Eccleston told the trial: “He was the one who told me what to take. He did know what he was taking.

“I would never, ever think of killing my husband – I would only help him to keep out of the pain.

“He knew full well, although he was ill, what he was taking. He was more or less begging me.”

Describing how she and her husband agreed to take their own lives at their home in Raven Close, Huntington, near Cannock, the pensioner told the court he “knew full well” what medication they were taking and administered his overdose himself.

File photo dated 02/09/19 of Mavis Eccleston who has been cleared at Stafford Crown Court of murder and manslaughter after being accused of the "mercy killing" of her husband Dennis.

Mrs Eccleston was given an antidote in hospital for the drugs she had taken in the early hours of February 19 last year.

During her evidence to the jury, Mrs Eccleston said she had fetched medication from a nearby cupboard at her husband’s request, adding: “It was an understanding between us. He had to tell me what I had got to do.”

After they had both taken medication, the court heard, Mrs Eccleston kissed her husband on the head, pulled a cover over him, and he said “good night, darling” as she went to lie down on a sofa.

Answering questions from defence barrister Mark Heywood QC, the defendant added that she had written a note saying the couple had decided to take their own lives, to explain their actions to their children.

“The next thing I knew I was in hospital,” she told the court.

Jurors took around four hours to reach their not guilty verdicts after hearing claims that the prosecution of Mrs Eccleston was based on “throwaway remarks” between her and two nurses.

During a closing speech to the jury, defence barrister Mark Heywood QC said Mrs Eccleston had immediately disputed what the nurses alleged she had said.

The barrister also submitted that it was a “fantasy” to suggest Mr Eccleston would not have asked his wife what medication he was taking.

Mrs Eccleston was arrested on February 21, a day after her husband passed away while she held his hand in hospital.