Meghan and Harry are 'bruised and vulnerable' says documentary journalist

Francesca Specter
Yahoo Style UK deputy editor
Tom Bradby interviewed Meghan and Harry for the recent ITV documentary. [Photo: Getty]

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry appeared “bruised and vulnerable” while filming their recent ITV documentary. 

That’s according to Tom Bradby, the journalist who interviewed the royal couple as part of the one-hour programme, which aired last Sunday.

Speaking to US news show ‘Good Morning America’ yesterday, Bradby – who currently presents the News at Ten – said he went into the project simply hoping to chronicle their tour of Africa, but soon realised “everything wasn’t entirely rosy behind the scenes”.

READ MORE: Meghan Markle all smiles for first appearance since admitting to 'struggle'

The emotional documentary, filmed across the Sussexes’ 10-day tour earlier this month, saw the Duchess confess to the “struggle” she has faced in recent months.

Harry also appeared to confirm the rumoured ‘rift’ between William and himself. 

“The reality I found was just a couple that seemed a bit bruised and vulnerable,” he told the US programme, ahead of the documentary itself airing last night in the US at 10pm ET.

“With mental health you have to be careful which words you use, but that’s what I found.”

Of his relationship with the couple, he said: “I’d seen them obviously before we left and had a pretty long chat and so I formed a certain view there.

“And I speak to Harry relatively often and have done over the years so, as I said, I knew that things weren’t entirely brilliant behind the scenes, but it sort of built as the tour went on really.

“It seemed the right journalistic thing to do to try and tell that story as empathetically as I could, that seemed like the approach to take on this occasion,” he added.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle pictured on October 2, the last day of their South Africa tour. [Photo: Getty]
Meghan Markle attends the One Young World Summit opening ceremony at the Royal Albert Hall on 22 October 2019. [Photo: Getty]

Yesterday, Duchess Meghan made her first public appearance since the documentary’s release, attending the One Young World Summit Opening Ceremony Ceremony at the Royal Albert Hall in London, without her husband.

The Sussexes will soon be taking some time from the public in upcoming months, a royal source confirmed to CNN.

READ MORE: Meghan Markle: 'Not many people have asked if I'm OK - it's a struggle'

The family will take “family time” off from around mid-November onwards, it is believed, and will divide their time between the US and the UK.