Newcastle and Wolves play out uninspiring 1-1 draw

Jonny of Wolverhampton Wanderers celebrates after scoring a goal to make it 1-1. (Credit: Getty Images)

Newcastle and Wolves drew 1-1 in an uninspiring match at St James’ Park.

Newcastle captain Jamaal Lascelles headed in from close range to open the scoring for Newcastle with just under 10 minutes to go before half time.

Jonny Castro Otto levelled the scores midway through the second half as Wolves pushed for an equaliser. Sean Longstaff was then sent off for a high challenge with just under ten minutes to go, but Wolves were unable to take advantage and the match finished 1-1.

Going into the game Newcastle sat just a point above the Premier League relegation zone after a 1-0 defeat to Chelsea last time out. Wolves started the day in 13th place and entered the match with just one defeat in five in the league.

Wolves made a lively start to the game, with a couple of tame efforts following some neat football from the away side in the first couple of minutes.

But neither side were able to really create any clear cut chances in a quiet St James’ Park, with slow build up play and a lack of quality in the final third a problem for both teams.

The first real chance of the game came just before the 35 minute mark. Paraguayan Miguel Almiron, who is still looking for his first goal for Newcastle, burst through on goal, but a heavy touch took him wide and the 25-year-old could only find the side netting with his low strike.

Jamaal Lascelles of Newcastle United celebrates with Joelinton. (Credit: Getty Images)

That effort seemed to spur the Magpies on though. Just two minutes later Lascelles headed in from close range following a perfect Federico Fernandez cross, and Newcastle were ahead.

The Newcastle fans were suddenly lifting their side as the atmosphere in the ground increased. Sean Longstaff struck a volley way over the top of the crossbar as the game approached half time.

Joao Moutinho had Wolves’ best chance of the half on the stroke of half time, but his tame effort was straight into the hands of Newcastle ‘keeper Martin Dubravka on the turn.

1-0 to Newcastle was the score at half time.

READ MORE: De Bruyne - Man City will be OK despite Fernandinho absence

READ MORE: Lys Mousset denies West Ham as Sheffield United continue impressive away form

READ MORE: Watford’s woes continue with goalless draw against Bournemouth

Diogo Jota controls the ball for Wolves. (Credit: Getty Images)

At the start of the second half, Newcastle looked like the side most likely to get the next goal. Allan Saint-Maximin created a couple of opportunities with a burst of pace and neat footwork, but never really managed to create a clear cut chance for his side.

Wolves had a fantastic opportunity to equalise through Diogo Jota with just under an hour played. The Portuguese found himself in space inside the Magpies’ penalty area following a fizzed cross, but he couldn’t direct his header on target.

Nuno Espirito Santo’s team were looking the more dangerous as the game progressed and were finding more space inside their opponent’s half. Adama Traore showed some skilful play to drill a ball across the Newcastle penalty area, but Dubravka kicked the wall clear at this near post.

Jota was next to go close. The 22-year-old skipped past a couple of challenge before firing his shot at goal from close range straight at the United goalkeeper who made the block. Steve Bruce’s side looked as though they were starting to hang on to their one goal lead.

Jonny Otto of Wolverhampton Wanderers celebrates after he scores his sides first goal. (Credit: Getty Images)

The away side did find their equaliser on 72 minutes. A lovely one-two between Traore and Matt Doherty down the right hand side forced Dubravka to try to claim a cross, but the ‘keeper spilled the ball while trying to collect it and palmed it straight into the path of Castro Otto who volleyed in from just a couple of yards out.

Newcastle responded well. A low, hard, swerving effort from Jetro Willems missed the far post by a matter on inches. the score remained 1-1.

Things got worse for Newcastle with just under 10 minutes to go in the match. A strong challenge from Sean Longstaff resulted in a high boot catching Ruben Neves on the shin, referee Kevin Friend quickly issuing the young midfielder with a straight red card. Newcastle left to play the remainder of the game with a man less.

Deep into stoppage time Doherty’s free header from just a couple of yards out missed the far post and that is how it finished. Newcastle United and Wolves taking a point each. 1-1 the final score.

Next up for Newcastle in the Premier League is a trip to West Ham United next Saturday. Wolves travel to Arsenal on the same day.

Featured from our writers