Toys have a special place in a kid’s life. Whether you’re buying a toy for your little one or getting a gift for some other child, step into a toy shop and you will get baffled by the toys that are available. There are many different toys in today's market to choose from as per the kid’s age.
Toys not only provide the pleasure of playing but can also help in developing your child's cognitive and motor skills. Toys play a wide role in your kid's social and emotional development. They can also enhance his imagination and creative skills.
Types of Toys
On a broad level, toys for li’l kids can be classified into the following categories:
1. Pretend and Play Toys
These toys develop communication, expression, sharing and imagination skills in your kid.
2. Arts and Crafts Toys
These toys develop muscle coordination in your kid.
3. Educational Games and Construction Toys
These toys develop creativity, construction and self-confidence skills in your kid.
4. Electronic Toys
10 Best Toys for Young Kids
1. Dolls that your little one enjoys carrying with her all the time. It is a good idea to buy washable ones as your child may suddenly decide to give her doll a bath when she is having one !
2. Cars, trucks, buses and other vehicles can fascinate your little one and enhance his world of exploration.
3. Soft toys based on your kid's favourite cartoon characters are a great choice. In every house with kids, there are many Toms and Jerrys or Chota Bheems !
4. Books with large pictures that young kids enjoy flipping through again and again. Musical instruments and pop up books can arouse your kid's interests. You can also get him magnetic letters.
5. Craft materials such as poster paints, finger paints, water colors, colouring books, crayons and modeling clay in different colours develop his motor skills. As they grow older, kids can begin to use child-safe scissors.
6. Fix it kits are often liked by kids as it gives them a grown up feeling. Simple jigsaw puzzles of four to five pieces enhance the kid's cognitive skills.
6. Pretty toy telephones and radios are available that help to encourage interaction skills in your kid.
7. Large and colourful building blocks make an interesting game for your kid. Blocks of different shapes, sizes and colours that can be stacked one on top of the other can be used to help your kid identify different shapes and colours. Blocks with alphabets or numbers are a good idea to help your child with the learning process.
8. Balls are always a great gift for young kids. You can throw to your kid and make her catch them. Apart from the physical activity aspect, a throw and catch game teaches kids about turn taking and usually this is the first social game kids learn to play.
10. Last, but not the least, a tricycle is a classic way of increasing your kid's physical skillsonce she is big enough to ride one.
Toys You Should Avoid
Although most toys are beneficial to your kid, certain toys can cause harm if not chosen according to his age. It is best to avoid buying such toys for young kids such as . . .
1. Toys with small, removable and loose parts such as dolls with removable shoes and accessories, soft toys with button eyes and nose etc. Do not get her board games with small pieces such as dice.
2. Toys with long and flexible strings that can strangle the child. You can consider toys with strings made of stiff plastic or trimming the extra length of the string before you give the toy to your kid. Keep audio cassettes out of reach as she may enjoy unwinding them.
3. Do not give her toys with springs, hinges, stickers and sharp or pointed edges. If you are giving your kid battery operated toys, make sure that she has no access to the battery.
4. Do not give her toys that make a loud noise as they can be too harsh on her delicate ear.
5. Avoid very soft toys as this can tempt your kid to chew them.
Your little kid enjoys exploring different things and learns by practice. Parents are the best toy for kids, so go ahead and make learning both play and fun.