Creamy kadhai paneer for special occasions
Kadhai Paneer is a Punjabi specialty with soft succulent paneer pieces, thick tomato gravy blended with fresh cream and spices. While there are many variations of this quintessential paneer dish, we turned to super chef Tarla Dalal to share her secrets. If you have just 30 minutes to spare, you can try a whole new recipe this week.
Here's the recipe:
1 1/2 cups paneer (cut into 37 mm. (1 1/2“) cubes)
Oil for deep-frying
1 tbsp oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1 tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
1/2 cup sliced capsicum
Salt to taste
A pinch of sugar
1/2 cup fresh cream
For the gravy
2 1/2 cup tomatoes finely chopped
1 tbsp coriander (dhania) seeds
10 whole dry red kashmiri chillies
2 1/2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp finely chopped garlic (lehsun)
1 tbsp finely chopped green chillies
2 1/2 cups finely chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup tomato puree
1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
1 tsp garam masala
Salt to taste
For the garnish
1 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
For the gravy
- Combine the red chillies and coriander seeds and dry roast on a hot tava (griddle), for 30 seconds.
- Remove and keep aside to cool.
- Blend in a mixer to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai, add the garlic and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the prepared powder and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for another 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till the oil separates, while stirring occasionally.
- Mash it a little using a potato masher.
- Add the tomato puree, dried fenugreek leaves, garam masala, salt and approx 2 tbsp water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
For the kadhai paneer
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry the paneer pieces till they turn light brown in colour. Drain on absorbent paper and place in lukewarm water for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame till they turn translucent for approx. 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the kadhai gravy, coriander-cumin seeds powder,chilli powder, turmeric powder,garam masala, dried fenugreek leaves and sauté on a medium flame for another minute.
- Add the capsicum, 1 cup water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring once in between.
- Add the paneer, salt and cook on a slow flame for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the cream, mix well and serve hot garnished with coriander.
Here's the video:
Recipe Courtesy: Kadhai Paneer Video by Tarla Dalal, TarlaDalal.com
Image courtesy:©Thinkstock photos/ Getty images
More On >> Indian Cuisine