Veterinary nurse suffers severe burns after her hair caught fire while blowing out a candle

Emily Fairbrass's hair caught fire while she was blowing out a candle. (SWNS)

A veterinary nurse suffered severe burns after her hair caught fire while she was blowing out a candle.

Emily Fairbrass, 25, was treated for second and third degree burns to her face, neck and head following the accident at her home in Sittingbourne, in Kent earlier this month.

Her hair caught fire as she leant over to put out the flame and it rapidly spread.

Emily ran in agony to the bathroom in a bid to stop the burning and then to her neighbours' house who covered her burns while emergency services were called.

Emily was treated for second and third degree burns to her face, neck and head. (SWNS)

The harrowing ordeal unfurled when Emily was at her home on the morning of December 10.

She said: "I can honestly say my neighbours Janice and John saved my life. I have sent them flowers and chocolates, but words cannot say how much I owe to them. I cannot thank them enough.

"All of a sudden I was surrounded by firefighters and ambulances."

READ MORE FROM YAHOO NEWS UK:

Australian man describes how he survived bushfire in makeshift shelter as inferno roared around him

‘Toxic’ Christmas toys could put children at risk of long-term fertility problems, officials warn

Whirlpool tumble dryer due for recall caused building to explode

Paramedics took her to Hospital and she was transferred to a specialist unit in East Grinstead, West Sussex to be treated for second and third degree burns to her face, neck and head.

She was discharged after four days but still has to return for her wounds to be dressed.

She said: "I just kept shouting 'my hair, my hair'. I had lovely long blonde hair. It is the only real thing I like about myself."

Emily, who has worked as a trainee for four years, said: "It all happened so quickly. I never knew something like blowing out a small candle in my dining room could result in this.

"If you are going to have candles then be very cautious where you put them and just be cautious.”

She added: "I love my job and if I could I would go back tomorrow. But I am told I can't risk infection.

"I have also got to face the emotional and physical side of things.

"Staff at East Grinstead have been absolutely amazing and I have a lot of support around me. And my hair is gradually growing back."

---Watch the latest videos from Yahoo UK---