Kothey - Hailing from momo family, are generally elongated in shape. Their stuffing is similar to momos, only difference former are pan fried from one side after being steamed, making it more savoury.
The traditional kothey are prepared with all purpose flour (maida), which cannot be used for toddlers on regular basis, also I had to avoid most of the seasoning(soy sauce,vinegar etc) while accommodating tofu in the filling. So here is how I made Kothey for my munchkin-
- Whole wheat flour
- Paneer(cottage cheese)
- Beans(chopped as thin as possible)
- Cabbage(chopped as thin as possible)
3. Seasoning and Cooking
- Black Pepper Powder
- Soy sauce
- Mix all the ingredients for dough and knead a soft dough.
- While preparing for stuffing, soak tofu in water for 5-10 mins to soften it before grating.
- Heat a fry pan and add butter to it, once melted add all vegetables leaving paneer and tofu.
- When the vegetables are soft enough add grated paneer and tofu alongwith salt and pepper. Sauté for a while and turn of the stove.
- Add 2-3drops of soy sauce. Mix well and let the mixture cool off.
- Take small quantity of dough and roll it as thin as you can.
- Place the stuffing in centre and using pleat and fold method close it.
- Grease the steamer plate and line up the kotheys on it.
- Close the lid and let it steam for good 10-15minutes.
- Once cooked, they can be served as it is(as momos), but to make kothey heat a pan add butter and stir fry the kothey from one end only. Don’t overcook otherwise it will become stiff.
- Ta-Da and its done. Serve as it is or any sauce, chutney you prefer giving to your child.
Disclaimer: All Photographs in this article are original and belong to the author. Reproducing them in any form without the permission of the author will not be allowed.
This article is an entry for BLOG-A-THON.
Also read: Toddler Snack Series - Methi Muthias
Explore the entire collection of articles: Tasty Recipes For Toddlers
If you are reading this article on our website and have an Android phone, please download our APP here for a more personalised experience based on your lifestage.