Police launch murder investigation after death of man who was shot two years ago

David Harding
Boluwatife Oyewunmi (Met Police)

Police have begun a murder investigation after a man died more than two years after being shot in the head.

Boluwatife Oyewunmi succumbed to his injuries in July after being attacked in April 2017.

He was shot while sitting in a car close to a Travelodge hotel in Enfield, north London.

No one has ever been charged over the shooting.

The Metropolitan Police on Friday released photographs of the victim, including one of him lying in a hospital bed which shows his injuries.

The 22-year-old was preparing for a night out with friends when the attack took place.

Police say he was sitting in a car listening to music outside a hotel in Enfield when he was approached by a group of individuals who shot him three times at close range - once in the torso and twice in the head.

“As a result of his devastating injuries, Bolu spent two years in a vegetative state in hospital. Tragically, Bolu succumbed to his injuries and died on 11th July 2019,” said the Met Police.

Read More from Yahoo News UK:
In pictures: Premier League billionaire docks superyacht on the Thames
Endangered baby red panda born at Edinburgh Zoo
David Cameron says Boris Johnson is 'full of jealousies and paranoias'

Police are now hoping anybody who witnessed the attack will come forward.

Officers say they have found no reason as to why he would have been targeted.

One line of enquiry is that Bolu may not have been the intended target and that this was a case of mistaken identity.

Five men who were arrested in 2017 remain under investigation in connection with the incident.

Detective Sergeant Ian Valentine says: "Given the number of individuals present at the shooting, there must be a considerable number of people with knowledge about it; the reason for the shooting and who did it and who was present.

"It is now two years since the shooting and these individuals should have had a chance to reflect on what happened, possibly they’ve changed friendship groups and maybe have some regrets.

"I would like to appeal to the them to come forward and provide information to the investigation team about what happened on that evening."

Anyone who has any information has been asked to contact the Incident Room on 020 8345 3865 or via Twitter @MetCC.