You have probably heard about post-natal massages from the elders in your family or the masseuse (Japa maid) of whose excellence your family swears by. It is a full body massage to rejuvenate the mother up to 40 days post birth.
These massages are usually given by trained maids or specialists and are incredibly soothing. It is an amazing tradition that helps a new mum unwind from all the stress of delivery and sleepless nights as your baby comes home. Substituting the time off from having to attend to the baby with a massage will be one of the most relaxing times of your day.
Abdominal+Massage.jpYou have probably heard about post-natal massages from the elders in your family or the masseuse (Japa maid) that your family swears by. It is a full body massage to rejuvenate the mother up to 40 days post birth.These massages are usually given by trained maids or specialists and are extremely soothing. It is an awesome tradition that helps a new mum unwind from all the stress of delivery and sleepless nights as the little wonder comes home. That time off from the baby chores with a relaxing massage will be the best time of your day.
Benefits of a post-natal massage:
Here are some other benefits of a post-natal massage:
• Relaxing the tension in muscles and easing the soreness.
• Better blood and oxygen circulation to muscles.
• A good massage releases endorphin in your body that helps you feel good.
• A soft massage on the breast can help you open blocked ducts and relax lumps.
• Helps you heal internally as delivering a baby may leave you tired and weak. A major surgery requires all-round healing and good massages help in aiding the process.
• Stimulates the flow of lymph thereby ensuring overall well-being.
• Its stress-busting capabilities help you in coping with post-pregnancy depression or baby blues.
Are post-natal massages recommended if I had a caesarean?
If you deliver your baby through a caesarean, you will need some time for the wound to heal before you begin with the massage ritual. This is because a C-section is a major surgical procedure that leaves you in pain for a few days. The good news, however, is that it takes only a week or two for the wound to heal.
You must wait for your doctor to give you a heads up for massages based on the recovery of your wound.
Precautions to Take When Opting for Post Natal Massages After a C-section
While massages are quite relaxing and addictive, it is important to exercise some precautions if you have undergone a cesarean. Below are some things that you must keep in mind:
• Instruct the person massaging you to stay away from the scar.
• Do not massage the abdomen and massage only the feet, arms, head, breasts, and back.
• You can opt for a special scar tissue massage after 5-6 weeks of delivery. This helps heal the inner layers of the cut. Remember to take this one only from an expert who has experience with these specialized massages. Seek your doctor’s permission and assessment before you go for it.
• Look out for any skin conditions such as boils or rashes.
• Take your blood pressure into account before choosing the intensity of the massage. A lighter massage is suggested if your blood pressure is high.
Importance of Post Natal Massages After a C-Section
Internal, as well as external healing, is critical when we talk about major surgeries such as C-section. A proper scar massage will help it heal evenly and reduce the consequences such as back and pelvic pains, urination issues, or complications with further pregnancies.
Also, during the process of healing, the tissues may overlap and join irregularly. This may pose potential harm to the uterus, bladder, etc. A gentle massage on the scar prevents the tissues from affecting your organs by preventing them from overlapping and forming layers on internal organs.
The Best Oil for Post-Natal Massage
While you may choose an oil based on your preference, coconut oil is the most recommended as it has a cooling effect on your body along with helping your scars to heal better. It will also help lighten the stretch marks if any. Mustard oil and sesame oil are also used in many cultures; however, they may have a distinct odour.
You must make some massage time for yourself:
Trust us; you will love the massage time once you start indulging in it. Try and adjust it to a time when the baby sleeps or ask for help as you rejuvenate yourself.