Statue of Prince Philip could be installed on Trafalgar Square plinth after his death

The Duke of Edinburgh drives a carriage during the Royal Windsor Horse Show in Windsor, Berkshire.

A statue of Prince Philip could be installed in Trafalgar Square after his death, it has been revealed.

According to the Sunday Times, a memorial statue of the 98-year-old Duke of Edinburgh will be comissioned when he dies to be displayed on the square’s famous “fourth plinth”.

In recent years the plinth has been used to display a selection of modern artworks including a giant blue cockerel and a horse’s skeleton.

But a source told the newspaper that discussions had taken place about a possible memorial to the duke.

Trafalgar Square's fourth plinth with Rakowitz's 'The Invisible Enemy Should Not Exist' on display

“A statue of the Queen on the fourth plinth was the original plan,” the source said.

“Several artists were approached by the palace to sound out whether they would submit designs when the time comes.

READ MORE FROM YAHOO NEWS UK:

The Queen 'annoyed' at The Crown's 'cruel' depiction of Prince Philip

Prince Philip 'warned Harry against marrying an actress'

The Queen's former Malta home is available to buy for a cool £5 million

“But in the past couple of years everyone has been made aware that it could also be for the Duke of Edinburgh.”

It is not clear what type of statue will be installed on the plinth, which was constructed in 1841 but remained empty for decades owing to a lack of funds.

The location has previously been suggested as the possible spot for a future memorial to the Queen.

It was reported in 2008 that the fourth plinth was being kept free for a statue of the Queen on horseback, to be commissioned after her death.

Suggestions for other figures who could have their own likeness there have included Nelson Mandela and Margaret Thatcher.

Other locations in London are also said to have been considered as possible locations for the duke’s statue.

Prince Philip has become the longest-serving consort in British history, having carried out more than 22,000 public engagements over the past 72 years.

Yahoo News UK has contacted Buckingham Palace for comment.