Sergio Aguero scores his 400th career goal as Man City beat Bournemouth 3-1

Sergio Aguero celebrates scoring the opening goal. (Credit: Getty Images)

Sergio Aguero scored his 400th career goal as Manchester City beat AFC Bournemouth 3-1 in an entertaining battle at the Vitality Stadium to move up to second place in the Premier League table.

Aguero gave the away side the lead with a quarter of an hour played, before Raheem Sterling doubled City’s advantage just before half time. But in first half stoppage time Harry Wilson scored a stunning free kick to drag Bournemouth back into the game.

But Aguero scored his second of the game, stabbing home from just a couple of yards out with 64 minutes on the clock to secure Manchester City the win.

Going into the match, both sides would have been well aware of the incredible record the Citizens have against the Cherries, with Bournemouth failing to register a single point in the Premier League against Pep Guardiola’s men in eight attempts.

The game began with a frantic pace despite a temperature of over 30 degrees Celsius on the south coast, and it was the visitors who had the first chance of the game.

Bernardo Silva found himself well placed just inside the Bournemouth penalty area, and will feel he should have hit the target. His effort narrowly wide of Aaron Ramsdale’s goal.

Bernardo Silva of Manchester City controls the ball (Credit: Getty Images)

It didn’t take long for the reigning Premier League champions to take the lead though. After a period of sustained pressure, David Silva’s pass out wide found Oleksandr Zinchenko who put in a low ball across the Bournemouth penalty area. A miss-hit by Kevin De Bruyne followed but Aguero was on-hand to tuck the ball away from close range.

Manchester City were dominant now and weren’t far away from a second goal. David Silva was making his 400th appearance for the club and almost marked it with a goal. The Spaniard’s volley was straight at Ramsdale, who palmed it away to safety.

The home side had a glorious chance to get themselves back into the match with just seven minutes to go before half time.

Harry Wilson was on as a substitute for the injured Charlie Daniels who left the pitch on a stretcher, and the Liverpool loanee put in a dangerous cross which wasn’t dealt with by Nicolas Otamendi. Adam Smith fired the ball towards goal from just a couple of yards out but the shot struck City goalkeeper Ederson on the head, and somehow found its way over the bar for a corner.

Raheem Sterling scored City's second goal of the game. (Credit: Getty Images)

Bournemouth failed to take their best chance of the game and the Eddie Howe’s side were immediately punished at the other end. Bernardo Silva linked up with David Silva, and the later found the forward run of Raheem Sterling who poked the ball past the onrushing Ramsdale to double City’s advantage.

As the fourth official indicated their would be six minutes additional time at the end of the first half, Bournemouth won a free kick in a dangerous position on the edge of the Manchester City penalty area. Harry Wilson stepped up and struck an inch perfect free kick into the top corner, past the outstretched arm of Ederson to drag the home side back into the game.

2-1 the score at half time.

Harry Wilson gets Bournemouth back into the game. (Credit: Getty Images)

READ MORE: Substantial bid for Eriksen would mean ‘difficult decision’ for Spurs

READ MORE: Klopp wary of ‘goal machine’ Aubameyang

READ MORE: Lampard: Chelsea must work together to fix goal drought

Manchester City started with a much faster tempo to the second half and Raheem Sterling was heavily involved. The England man was denied his second of the game thanks to a goal saving challenge from Bournemouth defender Chris Mepham.

An entertaining game at the Vitality Stadium was producing some brilliant end to end football. Callum Wilson was denied one on one with Ederson when it looked easier to score and then Kevin De Bruyne somehow put the ball wide when well placed inside the Bournemouth penalty area just moments later.

Manchester City certainly knew they were in a contest, with chances for both sides and challenges flying in, adding to the heated nature of the match.

Sergio Aguero of Manchester City celebrates scoring his second of the game. (Credit: Getty Images

But the result was confirmed with just over an hour on the clock. David Silva burst into the penalty area after he was given the ball by Zinchenko, and the 33-year-old wriggle his way past a couple of challenges before giving the ball to Aguero to stab home from close range for his 400th career goal.

Aguero with his second goal of the game and his fourth already in the Premier League this season.

Manchester City move up to second the in the Premier League, while Bournemouth sit mid-table. The Citizens will play Brighton next at the Etihad Stadium.

Featured from our writers