These shocking images show a Loggerhead sea turtle struggling to break free after getting stuck in a dumped fishing net.
Vincent Legrand, 42, was exploring in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, off of Pico Island, Portugal, when he came across a sea turtle who was struggling.
Upon closer examination, Vincent, from Sterrebeek, Belgium, noticed that the animal was trapped in a waste fishing net that had been dumped in the ocean.
The rope net was wrapped around the turtle's neck, appearing to leave the animal gasping for breath.
In September last year a study suggested that ingesting even a single piece of plastic can be deadly for sea turtles.
Researchers from Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation said there was a one in five chance of death for a turtle who consumed just one item.
READ MORE FROM YAHOO UK:
The worrying study pointed to the ever increasing amount of waste being pumped into our oceans and said sea turtles face extinction due to plastic ingestion.
Thousands of other rare species are also at risk of dying out due to plastic pollution.