As your baby grows bigger, you might find it hard to find the right posture to get good sleep! Your protruding belly starts to get in the way so sleeping on your belly is simply not an option anymore!
All that’s on your mind - Is there a best way to sleep comfortably during pregnancy, without harming the growing baby?
What is the best position to sleep in during pregnancy?
The safest and best sleeping position for you is on your left side. This position ensures proper blood flow to the placenta that supplies blood and nutrients to your baby. It also keeps the pressure off your liver. Lie on your left side, with a pillow between your knees, and another under your belly.
Why is it dangerous to sleep on your back or on the right side?
Pregnant women who sleep on their back or on the right side, have a higher chance of stillbirth, studies say. Lying on your back, exerts greater pressure on the inferior vena cava, the largest vein which returns blood to your heart. Lying on the right side exerts pressure on the aorta, the largest artery which carries oxygen rich blood from your heart to the rest of your body. This in turn, can affect the supply of blood and nutrients to the placenta that nourishes the baby.
Tips for a good night’s sleep during pregnancy:
- Do not lie down immediately after eating. Maintain a 2 hour gap between eating and lying down.
- If you have a tendency to heartburn, elevate your head while lying, with extra pillows under your neck or using bricks to elevate the bed itself.
- If you feel short of breath, you can place a pillow under your side.
- You can invest in a pregnancy pillow that will support your back as well.
- Do not panic if you roll over onto your back. You might wake up due to shortness of breath automatically. Just reposition yourself, when you can.
Image Sources: Mebscape, Webmd
Disclaimer: This information has been provided by experts for users of BabyChakra..
Also Read: 5 ways to get better sleep during pregnancy