Following reports he wouldn’t be dancing, viewers of tonight’s Strictly launch show must have been a little confused to see Jamie Laing get paired up with dancing pro Oti Mabuse. But it’s official, the biscuit heir is definitely out of this year’s competition.
At the end of the broadcast, Laing gave an emotional update on his injury, explaining that an MRI had revealed swelling and tissue damage to his foot.
He said, “because of the injury I am going to be in a boot for eight weeks’ recovery, which means I won’t be a part of the show.”
But who will replace him and dance with Oti Mabuse this year? Strictly presenter Tess Daly doesn’t know, or if she does she isn’t telling.
She told the Metro, “There’s drama and we haven’t even started yet!” Adding, “I can confirm there will be a replacement and I’ll find out on Sunday who that is. I think that’s when everybody will get the news but that’s when I find out, I know.”
The Strictly Twitter feed paid tribute to the missing reality star, capturing the moment he was paired with his dance partner and wishing him a speedy recovery.
He may not be taking to the #Strictly dancefloor due to an injury, but here's the moment @JamieLaing_UK was paired with Pro @OtiMabuse. Wishing you a speedy recovery, Jamie! pic.twitter.com/E4AXqRDuvS— BBC Strictly ✨ (@bbcstrictly) September 7, 2019
Laing’s replacement will join the likes of Mike Bushell, DJ Dev Griffin, comedian Chris Ramsey, actress Emma Barton, Olympian James Cracknell and broadcaster Anneka Rice.
The biscuit heir ended his heartfelt message by saying, “I want to wish all my fellow competitors the best of luck. You guys are going to rock it without a doubt.” Finishing by saying, “just go out there and dance.”
Executive producer Sarah James told Metro: ‘We are so sad that Jamie won’t be able to take part in the series, he had already lit up the ballroom during the launch show with his boundless energy and enthusiasm.”