Winter is around the corner -- and this couple is hunting for the perfect sweater. Perfectly ugly, that is.
VOX POPS (man, woman, English, 4 sec):
"-As tacky as possible."
"-Yeah, 3D, maybe."
So-called "ugly Christmas sweaters" -- part of a decades-old tradition of hand-knit holiday gifts -- are getting a second life as a fashion trend. Young party-goers are hitting vintage shops like this one, which features displays dedicated to them.
SOUNDBITE 1 Glynn Pogue (woman) Sales associate, Meeps Vintage, Adams Morgan (English, 10 sec):
"Over the past month, I'd say, like, right after Thanksgiving, there's just like an ultimate wave of people coming in looking for Christmas sweaters. It's really popular."
Second-hand stores are a treasure trove of sweaters of Christmases past -- but today's creations take tackiness to the extreme.
SOUNDBITE 2 Brian Clark Howard (man) Co-author "Rock Your Ugly Christmas Sweater" (English, 11 sec):
Brian Howard is an ugly sweater enthusiast. He co-wrote a book on the phenomenon with Anne Marie Blackman, who makes the sweaters and sells them on her website -- recycled garments tricked out to sparkle, blink and even sing:
UPSOUND: "Jingle bells..."
Howard says the internet helped kick off the trend after pictures of one epic party in Canada went viral in 2001.
SOUNDBITE 3 Brian Clark Howard (man) Co-author "Rock Your Ugly Christmas Sweater" (English, 13 sec):
"After that party people really realized how much fun you could have by just taking it to the next level -- just celebrating how ridiculous they can be, and just getting that much ugly in a room together... there's something kind of magical about that."
Party-goers agree -- the uglier the sweater, the more fun you have.
VOX POP (man, English, 5 sec): "Every time I wear it, I get laid. Not true at all! Hahaha!"
As enthusiasm for the trend grows, more and more hipsters are likely to be seen wearing their holiday spirit on their sleeves.
WASHINGTON, DC, DECEMBER 7, 2012
- WS couple digs through rack of ugly sweaters
- MS ugly sweaters on rack
- VOX POPS (man, woman, English, 4, sec)
- WS Glynn Pogue hangs up sweaters in dressing room
- MS woman trying on an ugly sweater
- WS woman speaking with her companion
- WS sweaters in shop window
- CU tilt over details on sweater LONGER FOR COVER OF SOUNDBITE 1
- SOUNDBITE 1 Glynn Pogue (woman)
- WS couple checks out and leaves
- CU tilt from lit-up ugly sweater to man's face
- SOUNDBITE 2 Brian Clark Howard (man)
- CU Howard demonstrates the battery pack COVER SHOT
- MS Howard sits at a table at his staff craft fair
- CU book "Rock Your Ugly Christmas Sweater"
- MS ugly sweaters for sale on table
- MS sped-up shot of Howard changing into singing sweater
- CU singing, dancing sweater
- WS Howard wearing singing, dancing sweater
- CU singing sweater
- SOUNDBITE 3 Brian Clark Howard (man)
ARLINGTON, VA, DECEMBER 7, 2012
- MS band playing in a bar
- MS people dancing in ugly sweaters
- tilt up on girls wearing ugly sweaters
- VOX POP (man, English, 5 sec)
- WS man from VOX pop dancing in ugly sweater