Warner, who had been ruled out of the first two Tests due to injury, had been making slow progress to full fitness. While Coach Justin Langer had professed to some doubt over his mobility ahead of the Melbourne Test, he is expected to take his spot back in the eleven for the Sydney Test starting on January 7.
“David has made strong progress in his recovery from injury and will be given every chance to play in Sydney with another seven days until the match,” said selector Trevor Hohns in a statement by Cricket Australia.
Hohns also expressed disappointment over Burns’ below-par performances in the two Tests and said, “Unfortunately, Joe’s returns haven’t been what he or the selectors would like or what we consider he is capable of.”
In addition to Warner’s return, the 18-member squad sees the return of Will Pucovski and Sean Abbott. Pucovski, who was in line for a Test debut at the start of the series, was sidelined after being hit on the head during the practice game. Pucovski, who had a history of concussion-related injuries (9 in total), said to be “symptom-free”.