Web watch: Wit & wisdom of Kanpuriye

Name of the Series: Kanpuriye

Platform: Hotstar Specials

Time : 2.15 Minutes

Cast: Aparshakti Khurana, Harsh Mayar, Divyenndu Sharma, Harshita Gaur, Vaani Sood

Rating: ****1/2

We have all grown up fuelling our ambitions with the ‘Slumdog Millionaires’ sort of stories. But do we always get what we want? Well, when destiny decides on derailing our plans, we learn to come to terms with the plans, or we tailspin downwards into nothingness.

The ‘rags to riches’ stories are literally designed for that 1% whose destiny allows them to make it to the pinnacles. But what happens to the other 99%? Kanpuriye, a Hotstar Special film that launched on October 25 speaks well on the above-mentioned lines.

Plotting points

Ashish Aryan, the writer and director of the film, has divided the film into three parts. One explores the father-son relationship between the characters played by Harsh Mayar and Vijay Raaz. Vijay Raaz plays the role of Lampat Harami, a stand up comedian who goes all out cracking the sleaziest jokes entertaining the downtrodden in the city of Kanpur.

Lampat Harami, wants his son Jugnu (Harsh Mayar) to follow his footsteps, and become a comedian too. But Jugnu, unlike his father, opts for a more respectable profession, and aims at becoming a master chef. According to Ashish Aryan, “The father-son relationship is like ‘Arhar Dal’, it has to be balanced otherwise things could get sticky.”

Another story revolves around the life of a lawyer Vijay Deenanath Chauhaun (a role essayed by Divyenndu Sharma of Mirzapur fame). Vijay is caught in the web, fighting his own case. He yearns to get out of Kanpur to fight the more challenging cases in the city. But fate has something else in store for him.

Divyenndu Sharma adds, “I have enjoyed doing the film. The best part of the film was when we were touring Kanpur and had the chance to interact with the locals. The people there are very witty. They are so fast, that they seem to have an answer for everything. Interacting with them has helped our characters evolve better.”

Last but not the least, we have the story of Jaitun Mishra (Aparshakti Khurana) who is in love with Bulbul Tiwari (Harshita Gaur). His job is in the doldrums, yet his love for her compels him to meet Bulbul’s father for her hand in marriage. However, when his job stabilises Jaitun is asked to take a transfer, something that he doesn’t want.

The pluses and minuses

In spite of having a few fictitious and fantastical elements, the plot has a very important take away for its viewers. The other interesting aspect is none of the three stories are interconnected in anyway, but Ashish Aryan has skilfully crafted the film, allowing it to evolve in a single entity.

The film is clean and bereft of any confusion in spite of the three plots playing along simultaneously. The dialogues are witty, and the comic timing is unmatched. Aparshakti’s expressions are simply priceless. The actor says, “I have got the innocence from our mother who is very loving and innocent. But I have enjoyed working on this film indeed.”

The language is slightly crass, but perhaps the plot demands it. I would like to add that films like these should use the language that is easier on the ears, to cater to a wider target audience that is marooned by the whims of depression and negativity. At times the film was needlessly stretched, but a great job from an upcoming director.

Overall some stellar performances, and a must-watch.

Also Read: Web Watch: Why ‘Sex Education’ has everyone hooked