Chef Vikas Khanna brings simple and easy-to-make recipes that you can try out from the comfort of your home.
¾ cup split pigeon peas (arhar dal)
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (and as required for tempering)
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
3 Madras chillies
12 fresh curry leaves
3 tomatoes, finely chopped
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 tablespoons tamarind pulp
3 teaspoons rasam powder
• In a saucepan, combine the split pigeon peas with 2 ½ cups of water and bring to a boil on medium heat. Add salt and stir well. Once the lentils are properly cooked, reduce the heat to low and keep simmering.
• Meanwhile, in another pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds, Madras chillies and curry leaves. As spices crackle, add the tomatoes and sauté for a minute.
• Add turmeric and tamarind pulp, mix well and sauté for 2 minutes. Now add the rasam powder and sauté for another minute.
• Combine the boiled lentils with the tamarind-spice infusion and mix thoroughly till well combined. Add water if required to make a thin broth and bring to a boil.
• Serve hot with plain steamed rice.
Check out more Vikas at Home videos here: