LAWRENCE GARDEN PANEER PAKORA
1 cup gram flour (besan)
1 heaped teaspoon carom seeds
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
Salt to taste
500 gm cottage cheese cut into 1/3 inch thick slices
2 large tomatoes, finely sliced
Oil for deep frying
2 cups breadcrumbs
3 teaspoons chaat masala
• In a mixing bowl, combine gram flour with carom seeds, cumin seeds, chilli powder, coriander powder and salt. Whisk in just enough water to make a thick smooth batter.
• Place a tomato slice on a slice of cottage cheese and trim cottage cheese to a size just larger than tomato circle.
• Heat oil in a kadhai (or wok) over medium heat. Spread breadcrumbs evenly in a quarter plate.
• To make fritters, dip cottage cheese in batter, shake off excess and stick a tomato slice on the cheese. Roll the cheese and tomato in breadcrumbs and carefully slide into hot oil. Deep fry till golden and crisp. Remove and drain on absorbent paper. Repeat with remaining cottage cheese and tomato.
• Sprinkle chaat masala over hot fritters and serve immediately with any chutney of you choice.
Note: The cottage cheese trimmings can also be dipped in batter and deep-fried till golden and crisp to make cottage cheese fritters.
Here are more simple recipes from Masterchef Vikas Khanna: