Chef Vikas Khanna brings simple and easy-to-make recipes that you can try out from the comfort of your home.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tomato, deseeded & finely chopped
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
Salt to taste
¾ cup yoghurt, whisked
1 tablespoon coriander powder
2 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon chilli powder
2 teaspoons cumin powder
1 tablespoon fennel seeds, coarsely crushed
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt to taste
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
200 gm okra, tips cut off and slit lengthwise
• For sauce, heat oil in a pan over medium heat and add cumin seeds. When cumin crackles, add turmeric and tomato and sauté for a minute.
• Add garam masala powder and sesame seeds and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in about ¼ cup water and salt, reduce heat and simmer the mixture till it thickens.
• Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl combine coriander powder, ginger, garlic, chilli powder, cumin powder, crushed fennel, lemon juice, salt and 1 tablespoon oil, and mix well.
• Using a spoon, stuff the spice mixture into slit okra and keep aside.
• Heat remaining oil in a fresh frying pan over medium flame and arrange the stuffed okra in an even layer on it. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
• When tomato mixture is thick and almost dry, reduce heat to low and stir in whisked yoghurt. Cook, stirring constantly for a minute, then add sauce to okra. Cover and cook fro 2 to 3 minutes till flavours merge.
• Serve hot with any bread of your choice.
Here are more simple recipes from Masterchef Vikas Khanna: